Friday, May 31, 2013

Great Gatsby

I just got home from watching The Great Gatsby starring Leo. The movie was a fantastic 3-D adaptation to F. Scott Fitzgerald's book. I actually didn't like the book the first time I read it at age 12, but the second time I read it in high school, followed by watching Robert Redford play Gatsby, I was blown away. 

For my 15th birthday, my mom took me to The Rosebud Mansion where the original movie was filmed. Ironically enough, I was living in Sydney where the second movie was filmed. 

I went with three Aussies, a fellow American and a Canadian, and was taken back by how I was the only one who had ever read the book. There are so many references to the book which have been made through my life and I cannot believe  studying the writing style alone hasn't been made mandatory, elsewhere.

I guess I owe many thanks to Mrs. Perry for making me reread The Great Gatsby and teaching me how to appreciate and all kinds of literature. 

My only qualm from the movie was Jay-Z and Beyonce songs stiing through the movie. I know Mr Carter was an Executive Producer, but Baz Luhrman you lost me on that one. The Roaring 20's were all about the Charleston and brass bands. I'm not sure where Empire State of Mind became appropriate?! Let's keep it real-er next time, guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment