Thursday, April 21, 2011

ROBBED!

But I was robbed last night.


I know what you're thinking, and it's not that kind of robbed.

The past two days I have been busy at home working and only left the house to go for a jog or to get my laundry off the line. So last night after reading the local rag, I saw the movie Something Borrowed was playing. Now since I read the whole series by Emily Giffin, and really enjoyed the books, I thought it would be a good excuse to get out of the house to see it.

I took the bus for $3.30 down to Warringah Mall. I couldn't find the theatre, but ended up asking a lady on a bench where it was (after walking around the building to the dodgy loading dock!). She directed me inside the mall and up the escalator 3 floors. 

Now I totally forgot you can 1) Buy booze at the cinema here. 2) Can bring your own booze or beverage to the cinema (and not have to smuggle it). 3) Over pay your entrance.

When I went to buy my ticket, the prepubescent pipsqueak at the counter said, "Twenty-five dollars ma'am."

(SIDENOTE: REALLY?! MA'AM!!) 

I just about up-chucked! 25 bones to see a movie I know how it is going to begin, the plot, AND the end. I told him I wanted a regular ticket and he said because its a premier all seats were $25. He said regularly they are $17. He also said, "It comes with a bag full of things, like magazines..."

I quickly interrupted and went Jersey Girl on him, "MAGAZINES! I better get a beer and a hot dog for that price! I want to speak to your manager." 

The poor kid got on the phone and the manager got on the phone. The boy said told him it wasn't advertised in the paper. The boy didn't let me speak to the manager. The boy got off the phone and told me that he was sorry but the movie would have to be $25. I could always see Rio for $17. (I almost spoke in my best Staten Island accent and asked, "Hun, I'm not 12." But refrained. 

Now I'm fuming. I was so worked up I was now hungry and thirsty. So I sucked it up and bought the ticket. I went down to where the theatre was and went to get a drink out of the vending machine. It $3.50 for a SODA! My bus fare was cheaper! I was given my little bag before I got to my seat and it had a Marie Claire from February, a stick of lipstick (not my color) and a coupon for Myers (Macy's over here) for $15 off and expires Wednesday. Funny thing is today is Holy Thursday, Friday is Good Friday, Sunday is Easter, Monday is ANZAC Day (Memorial Day), and Tuesday is public holiday. So technically I only have Saturday and Wednesday to shop at this stupid store for a louse $15 off. 

Needless to say, the movie was good, the bag was bad. I got my $3.30 out of my pocket to get back on the bus.  

Now you know, a night out at the movies cost $31.30 in Sydney. I will never complain again about a $9.00 ticket, especially not when I use my Maine student ID to get $1 off! I guess it kind of worked out though, I got a $99 ticket today to Chris Brown for only $33 at the Sydney Olympic Events Center. So I'm going to say, I guess I'm still on top!



1 comment:

  1. Bea Sammy Gabby and I went to see Rio on Saturday in 3-D. 48 dollars for the four of us. 4dollars for a bottle of water and we had to go to Bricktucky. I tried to use my AARP card for a discount but to no avail.(we got to keep the 3-d glasses) Whoo Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete