Tuesday, May 17, 2011

No Worries, Mate

I have had a few different views from some of my many places of employment. I've spent many years in a marina, and as much as I love to scrape a few barnacles, vacuuming bilges and musty cabins didn't always make for the best work environment. Then there was waitressing on the inlet. Great view, but I was always serving the people who were about to get on the boat I probably cleaned the day before and enjoy themselves in the hot sun, while I wore black pants on 98 degree days and ran in and out of a greasy kitchen all day. I also got to spend a summer in AC which wasn't too bad, especially during the crazy heat waves. 

There were also three summers I worked at the Spring Lake B&T as a lifeguard and server. Not a bad view, and I got to work out for a living.  That was a cool job. This is pretty much the same thing. This morning I woke up, ate some breakfast, threw on some workout clothes and headed to the 70 degree beach with my lap top. The commute wasn't tough. I walked out my front door, across the street, around the golf course and up over the dune to the sand. It was a little tough going at one point because with my feet so far in the sand, I was laughing at a few seagulls fighting over a chicken bone when a wave came and soaked my spandex. On my 10 minute walk, I saw several guys being towed in half a mile or so off the beach into 12' waves....NBD (No Big Deal). 

I then came upon the lookout and walked up the sidewalk to grab a skinny capp and found myself a nice picnic table, facing the golf course, watching surfers jump off the rocks into the surf and nailing these incredible double overheads close to the beach. I sent off a few emails, organized some paperwork, and here I am writing this and cannot believe it is noon already. (Also, I'm pretty sure Kelly Slater just walked by, but I didn't want to bother him! ) Speaking of Kelly Slater, his best friend and one of my favorite musicians, Jack Johnson, once said, 
''The ocean has taught me to have respect for everything non-human, not man-made, and to be able to feel the power of it. It makes you feel how insignificant you really are. It's not a negative thing. It's a very humbling thing, and it's a good thing to feel like that.''
I think I know what Jack was talking about. This is it. 


No worries, mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment