Monday, May 2, 2011

U S A

I woke up this morning to an email, from a good friend of mine.
"I am not sure if you heard or not, but Osama Bin Laden was killed by the Navy Seals yesterday.  Today is a great day to be an American.  I was driving on 495 with my windows down blasting  
"And I am proud to be an American, Where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me... so I proudly stand up next to you and defend her still today... cause there aint no doubt I love this land... GOD BLESS THE USA!"  
People were driving past me dying laughing but you know they wanted to join in too!  I was practically in tears thinking about how much I love being an American"
After watching the news last night, sitting in the living room with my my host family I was so ecstatic we finally "got 'im". They showed Americans cheering in the streets of DC in front of The White House and in the streets of NYC. When they panned to NYC, I starting to tear up. I was proud to be an American, for sure.

Today, I walked down the street to a local coffee shop to read the Sydney Telegraph newspaper. As I was in line to order my coffee, a man talking to his mate and a barista said, "Can you believe those Americans? Celebrating like idiots in the streets?"

I then ordered my coffee, very loudly, in my best New Jersey accent, looked at the guy dead in the eyes and said, "Yes, sir, I can. I am proud to be an American more so today than ever before."

There was no way that man was going to take this great day away from us, the USA.

To my family, friends and all those overseas, who have or are fighting the past ten years, thank you.  The world is a safer place.

I'm a Catholic girl and I realize I shouldn't be celebrating the death of anyone and probably should be taking more of an Martin Luther King, Jr approach, especially being over seas, but lets face it, I'm my father's daughter...

DING DONG!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes you are. Happy Birthday to Reine' and Happy anniversary to Bob and Wanda, and Brian and Liz.

    ReplyDelete