Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Americana goes Aussie- Part I

Out the window goes gargantuan brewed coffees and Staten Island accents. I now drink skinny capps with poached eggs and say "Oy!". I call my living room a lounge room and coaches lounges. I take the bus to the city (sometimes to sneak that Venti brewed coffee from the American Starbucks-I have found four locations in Sydney!) and ride a push bike instead of a bicycle. I look right left right when crossing streets.

Here are some of the new terms I use in daily conversation:

Arvo- Afternoon- "Let's grab lunch this arvo."
OTT- Over the top "Her outfit was OTT."
mobile- Cell phone "Call my mobile."
devo- devastated "I'm so devo my meal was crap."
toats- Totally- See below
froth- when you like a guy "I'm toats frothing on ....."
perv- see froth
babe- hun - "Hey Babe." -Sounds common but EVERY girl says it.
suss- sort out- "I'm going to suss out my finances before I book my plane ticket."
bloody hell- For crying out loud/Damn it -  After burning my oatmeal- "Bloody hell!
far out - In any instance you want to use the F word or say No way - When I read the bus timetable wrong this week and realized I'd have to wait 40 min for the next bus: "Bloody Hell! Far out!"
How ya goin'?- How are you. "How ya going today?
mate- bud, guy, homie, sweetie. "Hey Mate!" "Mate, what were you thinking?"

That's all I can think of for now, but I will let you know more in Part II!







No comments:

Post a Comment